Catastrophe Insurance Checklist
If someone comes to your door offering services, or posts advertising online in your community facebook or neighborhood pages, please be vigilant and use this checklist:
- ALWAYS get more than one estimate. Don’t feel pressured into signing a contract on the spot.
- Ask for references and check them out. No references, no deal.
- Ask to see the salesperson’s drivers license, write down their license plate number, and get a business card with contact details.
- NEVER sign a contract with blank spaces or boxes left. Unscrupulous contractors may enter new numbers, services, etc. later.
- NEVER pay a contractor in full or sign a completion certificate until the work is complete.
- Make sure you review and understand all documents that are being submitted to your insurance carrier.
A catastrophe greatly magnifies the opportunity for fraud and abuse. Don’t be tempted to conspire in an insurance claim. Insurance fraud is a felony.
Resource: TWFG Insurance